Saturday

My Slow Road To A Media Center PC - 2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back

Since my previous post on this project, I got a video card on sale for less than $30 (my kinda money) with an Nvidia chipset, 512GB DDR3 RAM, HDMI out, etc. I put the card in, installed the proprietary Nvidia drives and ... it works really well. Smooth menus and transitions, and while I have not tried any movie-length files yet, hi-def videos and streaming look great. This is on a 5-year-old computer with a 2.53Gz single core Intel Celeron processor, 2GB of RAM and a hardly-cutting-edge video card.

BUT, no audio. Aaaarrrggghh  - frustrating that I am very close, but yet not quite there. I was so disappointed that the video was so ghastly before the new video card, that I never even noticed that the audio was not working. Sound worked fine via HDMI when I had tried XBMC running as an application on my laptop, and for some reason it just did not occur to me there would be a problem running XBMC from Ubuntu Linux.

I hope I don't have to do too much mucking about with ALSA configurations and so on, although I have a bad feeling that I will. With luck, it will be as simple as getting a compatible sound card and going from there. So, getting close, but not quite there...

No comments:

Post a Comment